Elder Giles

Elder Giles
Mission Photos

Friday, January 2, 2015

Tech Staff Pioneer

Friends and Family,

  I'd just like to proudly state that I am the very first missionary in the great Japan Kobe Mission with an iPad! In case you were wondering, yes, I'm typing this email with two fingers, it probably won't be the longest email I've ever sent. As you heard last week, I've been called in by President W as the first Tech Elder in the mission and also the one who will be testing the iPads until their release in March and building and designing our mission portal. I'm sure many of you are wondering, "he doesn't know how to program a computer OR build a website." Well, you're right! But don't worry, they're bringing an Elder in next week to be my companion that knows how to do the hard stuff. Right now I'm in a companionship of five elders. One is a ZL currently recovering from a hernia and appendicitis, one is the new mission recorder being trained by the current recorder that goes home next week, one is the assistant recorder, and the Japanese elder in charge of just about everything financial or commercial in the mission. It's been a fun week.

  Because I literally have no experience with programming or anything like that, President W has put me in charge of designing our new Mission Logo! That's something that is definitely more up my alley, so I've been working on that for the most part of the week. I have to say, creating a logo that has the potential of being the Japan Kobe Mission logo for the next 3 years is quite intimidating. I'll be giving some training at our Mission Leadership Council next week so I'll hopefully get some insights from the Zone Leaders and Sister Training Leaders on more of what they want to see. It's going to be a blast!

  I've mostly been companions with the sick Zone Leader, Elder C, who's currently recovering in the mission home for the next little while. We got a call from Sister W after we taught a lesson with the sisters asking if we wanted to go with them and the assistants to a New Years Festival down in the city. It was so cool to be able to spend some time with the W's down in Kobe. That's definitely been the highlight of my week and the new year so far. I almost forgot that it's the year 2015 as well! We all went to the top of the mountain here in Kobe to watch the first sunrise of the year. There was about 100 people with us as well so we had some great chances to talk to people. The best thing about my new job is I'm still able to actively proselyte in Kobe. This area is a blast. We don't even have to bike here because we can just walk outside of the mission home and talk to people. Its a great time to be in Kobe! 

  I know that this church is true and that Jesus Christ is the Savior and Redeemer of the world. I've been blessed with some amazing opportunities on my mission and the Lord's hand continues to be present in my life. Whatever he asks me to do, I'll do it. I love you guys and I hope you all have an awesome week! 

Elder Giles
Japan Kobe Mission Tech Staff

No comments:

Post a Comment