Elder Giles

Elder Giles
Mission Photos

Monday, January 26, 2015

Frostbitten

Greetings and Salutations

This was a rather pleasant week. We served the Lord with all of our heart, might, mind, and strength. 

In order to keep my eye single to the glory of God, and leave behind all other personal affairs, this will be my last letter.

- Elder Giles

Just kidding! That was Elder C (one of our lovely Assistants) and he said he thought of the perfect letter to write to my family for the week. He`s a funny guy. 

This week was awesome. Holy shniekies we are so busy. We literally don`t have time for anything. Its awesome. Between balancing investigators, the Kobe Ward, and all the tech stuff, both my companion and I wonder how we would ever do this without the help of Heaven. We`re so grateful that this is the work of the Lord. 

Among all that, I managed to get frostbite. My feet had been getting little sores on them and I just thought it was athletes foot or something and didn`t think anything of it. I decided to ask one of the awesome Senior Missionaries (who was a nurse) about it and she said that it was frostbite and I couldn`t go outside to proselyte until I got new shoes. Yay. I just can`t seem to catch a break this winter! Well, I guess its like President Welch always says, "How do I know he loves me? He makes me do hard things." That is 100% truth. I`m sure you`re wondering how I got frostbite as an Elder that sits in front of the computer for most of his life. Well, me too. 

I can`t help but write a little bit about my companion. I literally have the greatest companion in the world right now. Aside from him knowing six languages, being a medical doctor, and knowing the in`s and out`s of programming, he really is the kindest person I`ve ever met. On top of that, he said I have a place to stay if I ever want to go to Rome in the future. It pays good to have good friends!

A few months ago we received a challenge from President W to finish the Book of Mormon by the end of February. That goal has been awesome, but last week we received homework from Elder Aoyagi of the Quorum of the Seventy to stop our current challenge and start a new one. We were told to write down and make a list of all the missionaries in the Book of Mormon, then we are to write about each of them and why they were successful. We`ll be doing this until he comes on February 11 and we`ll finish our previous goal by the time Elder Nelson comes on March 20. I`m super excited about all of this! I love the Book of Mormon so much. It has played such a huge role in my missino, if I`ve learned anything so far, its that the Book of Mormon is 100% true and we can receive inspiration from it every single day. 

Yesterday on of the members of the Bishopric gave an awesome talk in Sacrament Meeting about prayer. He`s an American guy that married a Japanese lady and now lives here in Kobe. He spoke about how amazing prayer was and shared an awesome experience of hearing his parents pray together for their family when he was a little boy. It was amazing because I`ve been feeling recently like prayer is something I`ve been struggling with. I think its being so busy and constantly thinking about what I need to do next because I feel like my prayers really weren`t very meaningful and I wasn`t getting anywhere with Heavenly Father. I prayed that morning that I would be able to improve my prayers and I feel like that good brothers` talk was an answer to my prayer. Awesome. 

Well this week has been awesome. We`re moving fast, but I know that God is still in charge. Because I have been given much, I too must give. I love what I do and I`m incredibly grateful for the chance that I have to be a missionary. I love you all and hope you all have a great week!

Elder Jeffrey Maxwell Giles
Japan Kobe Mission

No comments:

Post a Comment